If you have crooked or crowded teeth or other orthodontic issues, but you don’t like the idea of having to wear braces, clear aligners such as the Invisalign system can be a more discreet alternative.
Invisalign aligners were developed as a less conspicuous orthodontic option for adults and older teenagers who want to straighten their smile or correct a misaligned bite without drawing attention to their treatment. While Invisalign isn’t suitable for everyone, it can be a good alternative to traditional braces in most cases.
At Swish Dental, we provide genuine Invisalign in Brisbane to help correct a wide range of orthodontic and aesthetic concerns.
What problems can Invisalign clear aligners treat?
Like braces, Invisalign aligners exert pressure on the teeth that causes them to move position over a set period of time. Invisalign treatment can generally help with problems such as:
- overbite or open bite
- some types of underbite or crossbite
- gapped teeth
- crowded teeth
Invisalign may not be suitable, or may be less effective than braces, if:
- you have a more complex orthodontic issue
- you have a dental bridge or other restorations
- you don’t wear the aligners for the recommended 20–22 hours each day
Your dentist will need to examine your teeth and conduct an orthodontic assessment to determine whether Invisalign or braces is the better option for you.
Is Invisalign as good as braces?
Invisalign treatment has been around for over 20 years and there are numerous studies backing its effectiveness for straightening teeth. One 2017 study found that Invisalign aligners are effective for general orthodontic needs, but may be less effective at treating more severe bite problems compared to braces.
Invisalign can be more successful with some patients who would otherwise avoid orthodontic treatment. Genuine Invisalign aligners have been found to be more effective than other clear aligner brands, which also have less research backing them up.
Other benefits of Invisalign treatment
Invisalign aligners offer a number of advantages over braces, depending on the needs and preferences of the individual. These include:
- Appearance: Clear aligners are made from transparent plastic and are moulded to fit over your teeth, making them less noticeable than most braces.
- Convenience: Aligners can be taken out when you eat or clean your teeth, avoiding some of the difficulties of eating, brushing and flossing with braces.
- Lowering risks: Loose or damaged braces may cause injuries, while Invisalign aligners don’t break easily. Braces can also trap food and bacteria or make it harder to clean some parts of your mouth, increasing oral health risks.
Book an Invisalign consultation in Brisbane
If you want to know more about Invisalign treatment and whether it’s an option for you, make an appointment with our Brisbane dentists in Everton Park or Mitchelton. We’ll explain what the procedure involves, how much Invisalign costs and what other options are available so you can make a fully informed decision.
Weir T. Clear aligners in orthodontic treatment. Aust Dent J. 2017 Mar;62 Suppl 1:58-62. doi: 10.1111/adj.12480. PMID: 28297094.
Invisalign® aligners are a registered medical device. Always read the label and follow and instructions for use from your dentist.